Excessive weight can lead to major health issues in the long-run. While traditional weight-loss methods such as diet and exercise are considered great ways to lose excess weight, in some cases they don’t produce the desired results. It is often necessary to see a weight-loss specialist to discuss weight-loss techniques such as gastric bypass surgery. Gastric bypass surgery is a minimally invasive weight-loss technique that reduces your stomach’s storage capacity, thereby putting a limit to your food intake leading to weight loss. MISA Dallas has a team of experienced weight-surgeons that ensures great results post-surgery. Continuing on the subject, in this blog post, we discuss some of the benefits of undergoing gastric bypass surgery. Read on.
1. Long-term Weight Loss Success
Gastric bypass surgery has a reputation for delivering excellent results in the long-run. The majority of people (about 90 percent) battling severe obesity are able to maintain more than 50 percent of their weight loss post-surgery. Additionally, about 80 percent of people with super severe obesity are able to maintain more than 50 percent of their weight-loss following gastric bypass surgery.
2. Longer Life
A stark difference in terms of the risk of premature mortality has been observed between the obese people who have undergone gastric bypass surgery and those who did not. Studies have shown that there is an 89 percent reduction in mortality rate throughout the observation period for people who have gone through gastric bypass weight-loss surgery. A decrease in excessive weight after surgery also means a decrease in weight-related health issues. There is a reduction in the number of people dying due to diabetes and heart-related issues associated with excessive weight.
3. Better Management of Weight-Related Issues
- Type 2 Diabetes: A recent study found that gastric bypass surgery is beneficial for people with type-2 diabetes. People with diabetes are able to stay-free from any medication or insulin for at least 3 years after surgery.
- Cardiovascular Health: Gastric Bypass surgery can lean to a huge reduction in blood pressure and cholesterol levels, which reduces the risk for stroke as well as coronary and peripheral heart diseases.
- Sleep Apnea: Patients who are able to maintain a normal weight range after surgery often do not have to use a CPAP machine while sleeping.
- Joint Pain: Excessive weight means a lot of pressure on weight-bearing joints leading to joint pain or even damage in some cases. The decrease in weight after undergoing Gastric Bypass surgery reduces pressure on the joints, providing relief from joint pain.
4. Improved Quality of Life
Apart from preventing various health-issues and promoting a decreased risk of premature mortality, weight-loss surgery also improves the overall quality of a patient’s life. Post-surgery, most people are able to feel more confident and engage in social interactions which they earlier found rather difficult due to low self-esteem. There is also a reduction in other psychological issues such as depression and anxiety.
The Last Words
Gastric bypass surgery can be a great success if coupled with a healthy lifestyle. It is equally important to consult an experienced weight-loss surgeon to discuss and ascertain your eligibility for the weight loss procedure. When planning to undergo gastric bypass surgery in Dallas, TX you can count on the Minimally Invasive Surgical Associates in Dallas. We have a team of reputable weight-loss surgeons who specialize in various minimally invasive weight-loss surgical options. To get answers to all your questions or book an appointment, call us at 469-620-0222 or fill our contact form.